Tuesday, November 04, 2008

WHAT IS THE QUANTUM OF SOLACE?

I haven't seen the movie yet, and don't worry, there isn't a spoiler here. Because my source is the printed story. So do read on. I haven't really read anything on the new Bond Movie yet, but I did some research and found in my wife's family's extensive library a copy of "The Quantum of Solace" as written by Ian Fleming. Real books, not online.

Surprisingly enough it wasn't a full size short story like "A View To A Kill" or "For Your Eyes Only" and it is nowhere as long as the "Goldfinger" Novel that I found the book with. The "book" was a tattered, heavily aged fragment of its former self. A compilation it seems of the short stories by Ian Fleming which had "Quantum of Solace" right before "Risico" which I read right after "Quantum of Solace" because it was so short.

Well here is an explanation of what "Quantum of Solace" means according to the short story. The scene is the Governor of Nassau is talking to Bond over a few drinks right after a party hosted by the Governor. They were simply talking about a person that the Governor met during his career that had an interesting marriage. Bond was sitting on a chair across the Governor who was sitting on a low chintz couch. Between them is a coffee table filled with glasses and cups from the other guests who have already left. Both are enjoying Whisky Sour. The Governor is enjoying a cigar while the bored Bond has just sat a little straighter. His interest in the story piqued.

Here is the excerpt:

The Governor paused and looked reflectively over at Bond. He said, "You're not married, but I think it's the same with all relationships between a man and a woman. They can survive anything so long as some kind of basic humanity exists between the two people. When all kindness has gone, when one person obviously and sincerely doesn't care if the other is alive or dead, then it's just no good. That particular insult unto the ego--worse, to the instinct of self-preservation--can never be forgiven. I've noticed this in hundreds of marriages. I've seen flagrant infidelities patched up, I've seen crimes and even murder forgiven by the other party, let alone bankruptcy and every other form of social crime. Incurable disease, blindness, disaster-all these can be overcome. But never the death of common humanity in one of the partners. I've thought about this and I have invented a rather high sounding title for this basic factor in human relations. I've called it the Law of the Quantum of Solace."

Bond said, "That's a splendid name for it. It's certainly impressive enough. And of course I see what you mean. I should say you are absolutely right. Quantum of Solace - the amount of comfort. Yes, I suppose you can say that all love and friendship is based in the end on that. Human beings are very insecure. When the other person not only makes you feel insecure but actually seems to want to destroy you, it's obviously the end. When the Quantum of Solace stands at zero. You've got to get away to save yourself."

*****

How is your Quantum of Solace?